Friday, January 29, 2010

Capitalist Charity Negotiations


It has taken me weeks to try to find a way to respond to some of the many feelings I have wrapped around the tragedy of the earthquake in Haiti (World Vision appeal). I am admin of a group on Readwritepoem called African Diasporic Voices.  I posted a challenge to respond to the poem Betrayal by Leon Laleau in which is discusses the internal conflict of mental decolonization.  Here is just one of the poems that I have written during this time of heartbreak.

Capitalist Charity Negotiations
By Ieisha McIntyre

My happiness matters more to me than your pain.
--matters more to me than if you eat,
 if you are warm.
--more than if you are loved.
Your misfortune is not my fault.

It is your job to convince me that your pain
is a threat to my happiness.

-- then I will help you.

All Rights Reserved © 2010




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: