Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mississippi Mission

MISSISSIPPI MISSION
BY Ieisha McIntyre


I am standing in this field in Mississippi,
Looking out across corn, corn, and more corn.
My eyes look out across this land and at the old silos blown loose by hurricane.

And my heart is looking too. My heart asks my soul a question.
“Is this the field where we worked? Is this the field where we bled?”

“No. But, it is somewhere, and I will tell you when we find it. And the land will move up to greet you. As your blood will know its own, so too will the soil know you.”

I moved back and leaned against the fence.
Took in the blue of the sky,
the plumpness of the clouds,
the breeze blowing through the corn and trees,
and listened to the whispers of ancestors –
breathing hello and smiling.

All Rights Reserved © 2009






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

Leon said...

More please.

This one was yummy. You're so versitile.