Monday, November 22, 2010

The Solo Book Club

So often we start a book alone.  And, even though it is a book obviously found by others previous to ourselves, we are overjoyed, enraptured, and certain that we are the first of at least our circle of friends to REALLY love this book. We clutch at the book, let our fingers become intimate with the folds of its pages and the texture of the cover.  We open ourselves up to the possibility that this book may be a new love.

I know book clubs are popular.  I suggest book clubs to others, but I am horrible at them.  I just don't like to share.  But I'm trying to break myself of that selfish greed.  I've decided to start with a book of poetry by Lucille Clifton (1936-2010) and her book The Book of Light.  I'll keep you posted on the poems I like, the questions I have, the thoughts that are sparked.

If you would like to read the book of poetry as well, You are welcome too.  If you would like to share your thoughts, you are welcome to.  If you would like to leave your comments and share my comments with others, please do.

I'll be back in a bit with my feelings about the first few poems that I've read.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

Ieisha McIntyre said...

Again, I wonder how Ms. Clifton could have written my thoughts and worries so clearly. The poem " trying to understand this life", so clearly expresses those early morning feelings of a modern day teacher/poet.